There are many roofing materials available today, but none exudes class like wood shingles and shakes. These have been around since the 19th century and are still a popular roofing choice today. In this Residential Roofing Series post, we offer these top 14 facts about wood roofing:
- It is available in two forms: shakes and shingles. Shakes are thicker at the butt end, whereas shingles have a uniform thickness.
- It comes from cedar or other rot-resistant wood such as redwood.
- It is lightweight, making it applicable to low- and steep-sloped roofs.
- Both shingles and shakes come in different grades. The higher the grade, the longer the material’s life span is.
- It can last up to 50 years with proper maintenance.
- Winston Salem roofers install wood shingles and shakes in overlapping rows, creating a distinct look.
- The colors weather into an attractive natural gray after exposure to different elements.
- As it is made of natural wood, it has no pollutants that could eventually harm the environment.
- You can recycle wood shakes and shingles at the end of their life span.
- It is ideal for historic restorations because of its traditional look.
- It can withstand strong winds, impact, and insects.
- It is twice more insulating compared with asphalt shingles.
- It is pressure treated to increase fire resistance and prevent premature decay and rot.
- Only experienced roofers can properly maintain and repair wood roofs.
If you’re looking for reliable roofers for expert installation, repair, and maintenance of wood roof, you can trust ABC Roofing & Exteriors We are one of the top roofing contractors in High Point, specializing in different types of roofing materials, including wood, asphalt shingles, metal, slate, and tile. As a GAF Master Elite™ contractor, we ensure quality products and services on all our roofing projects.
Aside from residential roofing, we also handle commercial roofing systems, gutters, siding, and replacement windows. Regardless of your home improvement need, we’ll be there to help.
Call us today at (336) 286-0462 to learn more about our services. You can also reach us through our contact form.